Tortillas in Mole Coloradito
INGREDIENTSFor the mole:
- 3 cups chicken stock
- SOHM Sea Salt to taste
- 1 pound tomatoes (2 medium to large round or 4-5 plum), cut into quarters
- 5 tablespoon sunflower or vegetable oil, or lard if desired
- 1 small ripe (soft) plantain, about 4 ounces peeled and sliced
- 1 inch sliced bolillo
- 8 ounces Seasons of My Heart Mole Coloradito Paste
- 8 ounces Seasons of My Heart Oaxacan Chocolate, grated
- ½ cup sunflower or vegetable oil
- 8 - 12 corn tortillas
- 2 medium white onions, thinly sliced or cut in thin lengthwise wedges
- ¾ pound queso fresco, crumbled
- 20 sprigs (1¼ cup) flat leaf parsley, leaves only
In a dry cast-iron frying pan, fry the tomatoes until they give off their juices, and then let the mixture dry out somewhat. In a frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and fry the plantain until brown on both sides and drain on paper towels. Using the same oil, fry the slice of bread until golden brown, then remove and drain on paper towel.
Puree the tomatoes and fried plantain and bread in a blender, adding up to 1 cup stock. Strain the puree through a food mill or strainer. In a heavy 3-quart saucepan, or clay cazuela, heat the remaining oil, then add the mole coloradito paste and fry well over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. When the paste is very hot, after 5 minutes, slowly add the tomato puree. Stir until well incorporated, about 15 more minutes. Thin with 3 cups of stock, little by little, stirring all the time. Add the chocolate, simmer and stir for about 20-25 minutes. It should be thick enough to just coat the back of a spoon. Keep the mole hot.
In an 8-inch frying pan, heat the oil until smoking hot. Fry each tortilla quickly, for both sides until soft and then drain. Place a tortilla in the mole sauce and coat both sides with the sauce. Place the coated tortilla on a plate and fold it in half, then fold it again to make a triangle. Repeat with another tortilla. Lay the second tortilla on top of the first with the points going in the same direction. Spoon more sauce. Garnish with some onion slices, queso fresco and parsley. Repeat with the other tortillas. Two per plate. Serve immediately.