Fried Plantains with Jalapeño Jelly
INGREDIENTSFor the sauce:
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tbs Seasons Of my Heart Red Jalapeño Jelly
- ½ bunch parsley, leaves only
- ½ pound cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream, or ¼ cup milk (optional)
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 6 ripe plantains (but not real black), peeled
- Sunflower or vegetable oil, for frying
For the sauce:
Put ginger, garlic, Red Jalapeño Jelly and parsley leaves in the bowl of a food processor and pulse it until it is all finely chopped. Add the cream cheese and blend well. Add enough sour cream or milk to soften the consistency of a dip. Add salt and white pepper. Chill for at least 15 minutes.
For the plantains:
Cut the plantains on an angle into slices about ••• inch thick. In an 8-inch cast-iron frying pan, heat the oil. When the oil is hot, fry the plantain slices until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Arrange on a serving platter and serve immediately, with the sauce.
For unripe plantains, cut them diagonally into thick pieces and fry. Remove from the oil and drain. When all are cooled, smash each piece with a mallet or the side of a chef’s knife or cleaver. Fry again quickly, drain and salt lightly.